- Most people want to do good in the world.
- In order to make positive change for the environment, people must be engaged with the news, not shut off from or desensitized to it.
- In order to be engaged, they must have hope.
- In order to have hope people must have a reason for hope; the news must sometimes be good.
- In order to learn and stay informed and most importantly, take action, people must want to hear the message. Again, the news must sometimes be good
- In order to truly want to protect our environment, people must spend time in it and gain an appreciation for it. It is impossible to love that which you do not understand or have not yet experienced.
- Many people will not attempt to find nature on their own; they are too busy with their existing habits, lifestyles, and the demands of the modern world.
- Therefore, protection of the environment lies with people spending time in nature and with the understanding that there is hope for fixing it. People young and old all need encouragement to undertake the effort required to fix the problems created by previous generations.
I know this to be true:
- Society must make a large shift in terms of what we value if we want to survive as a species.
- This large shift will occur from small, day-to-day actions by everyday people who vote with their dollars and vote at political elections.
- Giving and doing good feels good, and people like to feel good.
- People who are overwhelmed with bad news often “tune out” and therefore do not take the needed action.
- People need to hear the bad stuff to be aware, but they also need to hear the good stuff in equal measure – maybe even more.
- I won’t reach every person, but every person needs good news.
I want to:
- Give people reason for hope.
- Help and inspire people to make small changes that add up to large societal shifts.
- Encourage young people to take bigger action and make positive changes in the world they are soon to inherit.
- Encourage young people to vote – both at the ballot box on election day and with their money each and every day.
- Inspire parents to take their children to spend time in nature so they too experience and understand it without fear.
- Support independent journalism to ensure that people are presented with unbiased reporting of truth.